Sunday, January 13, 2013

Something New Sunday - Biscuits & Gravy

So, I am already failing at this whole daily blogging thing since it's been four days since my last post. Sorry peeps, thou I'm not sure if there is anybody really out there reading this (haha). #epicfailing if you ask me


Anywho, I wanted to start something new in 2013 (besides this blog). I have tons of cooking books in my house and have found tons of recipes on Pinterest that I want to recreate. And what better way then to start off the new week then with a new recipe; hence the title 'Something New Sunday'. My goal is to post a new recipe that I've never made with pictures from my non-professional looking kitchen and reviews from whomever eats the meal.

'Somewhat Homemade' Biscuits & Gravy
 
 

It was Christmas Day and I was over at my boyfriend's parents place and I randomly got the craving for biscuits and gravy. When I let everyone else know about my craving, I was told about this great little 'cheater' method of getting that great biscuits and gravy taste but without all the work. Sounds like my kind of recipe. :)
 
Two simple items to make the gravy.  Like I said, it's kind of a 'homemade' ;)

Both items can be found at your local grocery store
 
Start with a package of Bear Creek Creamy Potato soup mix.  Yes, I know its a soup mix but when you add less water then the soup recipe calls for, you get a thicker, gravy like mixture.  Instead of 8 cups of water like the soup would need, I only did 7 cups.  Bring water to a bowl, add soup mix and let simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.  Remember to stir occasionally, so the soup don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
 

The soup does have little pieces of potato in it (which I thought it was a nice added touch)

You also need to brown 1# of pork sausage in a skillet.  I used Farmland Pork Sausage without any added MSG (so it's kind of healthy).  If you wouldn't want all the calories of pork, you could definitely use turkey sausage or a substitute of your choice.

 
Obviously you can't have biscuits & gravy without the biscuits.  Well, I thought I had canned biscuits in my fridge but I didn't so I improvised with Pillsbury crescent rolls.  Bake as direceted.



Once the soup/gravy is cooked and at desired thickness and the sausage is no longer pink in the center and fat has been drained, add the two together.


Cook for about 5-7 minutes to make sure that the sausage gravy is throughly mixed and hot. 


Take a couple of hot biscuits and smother (and I mean smother cause this stuff is GOOOOD) the biscuits in the sausage gravy that you have made. 



Overall review is that this stuff makes a pretty hearty breakfast.  I didn't add a whole lot of seasoning to the sausage and just a little pepper to the soup/gravy while it was cooking.  Please feel free to add comments/questions and I will try my best to answer as soon as possible.  Also, since this is my first recipe post, I'd like to have some tips on how I can make it easier for others to follow my steps.

Enjoy!!
~ Kellie Anne

 

1 comment:

  1. This actually looks really good!and very professional blogger of you

    ReplyDelete